The DC Reduced Fee Lawyer & Mediator Referral Service (DC Refers) provides an online directory of pre-screened attorneys willing to accept modest-means clients (incomes within 200-400% of the federal poverty guidelines) who will agree to pay legal fees of between $75-150 per hour.
1. Who are the lawyers in the directory?
Lawyers in our directory must:
- be members in good standing of the D.C. Bar or the appropriate Federal Bar,
- maintain malpractice insurance,
- have at least two years of relevant experience in each specific area you wish to be listed under, and
- submit an online application that includes both professional and client references that are checked by DC Refers.
2. How do clients connect with lawyers?
Modest-means clients will use the online directory to access a list of reduced fee lawyers who may be available to represent or advise them on a broad range of legal matters. Clients will contact lawyers directly, indicating that they found the lawyer using DC Refers.
3. What happens after the client contacts the lawyer?
Lawyers must determine whether the client’s income falls within 200-400% of the federal poverty guidelines, and whether the lawyer is able to accept the client’s case. The lawyer should follow their standard intake and conflicts check procedures when deciding whether or not to accept a particular matter. The attorney-client relationship is solely between the participating lawyer and the client. DC Refers does not guarantee that clients will pay the legal fees assessed.
4. What happens at the end of the representation?
Lawyers should follow their standard case closing procedures when the matter has ended. DC Refers will check in from time to time with clients who use our service and with lawyers participating in the service. We will ask if clients are satisfied with the legal services they received. We also will ask lawyers for feedback about the referral process, and will seek to ensure that DC Refers provides helpful referrals for clients and lawyers. We welcome your input!
5. How do I join the DC Refers directory?
You can apply at anytime by clicking here.